Re: Sorting out ftp.gnome.org mirroring.

Dan Mueth <dan eazel com> writes:

> It sounds like everybody here agrees on a few basic ideas:
> 1) We need a master ftp server which does not allow anonymous ftp
> 2) We need to organize our mirrors a little better, so we know which ones
> are reliable and up-to-date, and clean out mirrors which aren't mirroring
> anymore.

Agreed.

> I think we can set up a very nice system in the long term.  But since I
> will not be doing this work myself, and because we want a solution very
> soon, I'm proposing the minimal solution that gets the job done.  If the
> people who implement this (Martin and Gregory?) would like to do a nicer
> solution, that would be wonderful.  I'd at least like to see this minimal
> system set up before GNOME 1.4beta2 (2/28) if at all possible.

Well, this system is actually already in place. We already have a very nice
mirror database which automatically copies stuff onto the website and the
ftp server (that FULL file).

The only problem is that nobody is maintaining it.

It hasn't anonymous ftp acess any more.

> * ftp.gnome.org runs ftp on a second port without anonymous ftp access for
> mirrors only to rsync the packages

I don't think that's a good idea. Mirrors should use rsync, not ftp to
mirror stuff.

> * We create a set of instructions for how to mirror ftp.gnome.org and put
> it on www.gnome.org and ftp.gnome.org.  This should include emailing
> ftp-admin gnome org with the URL and maintainers address of the mirror.

Good idea.

> PS: Here is a detailed list of how we can do this, mainly here to bore
> anybody who read this far:
>
> 1) Put out a request for volunteers for mirroring on Gnotices and
> gnome-list
> 2) Try to track down emails for existing mirrors
> 3) Turn on 2nd ftp server on some odd port for non-anonymous ftp'ing

I you mean, for developers and hackers to download stuff, it's ok, but we
can also use the normal ftpd for this and use some guest group with password
for it.

Mirrors should use rsync.

--
Martin Baulig