Re: OO & GNOME, summary & an action request

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 06:14:00AM -0800, Seth Nickell wrote:
> 3) Sun has expressed a very strong desire for OpenOffice to be a part of
> GNOME in particular as a part of their new GNOME thrust, to the extent
> that they considered the Foundation's (to be anally precise, at the time
> it was the steering comittee) adoption of OpenOffice as part of GNOME
> Office critical to Sun's own adoption of GNOME. Sun says, "As part of
> its formation, the GNOME Foundation has announced that it is adopting
> OpenOffice.org -- the StarOffice productivity suite that Sun is making
> available to the open source community -- as the core of the office
> productivity software for GNOME Office." The point is...Sun seems to
> honestly care that OO be a part of GNOME...lets encourage this!

I'd just like to point out that this is exactly the problem with GNOME
officially making no decisions whatsoever about the contents of GNOME
Office.  It means that Sun's PR team puts stuff like the above on
their web page, but the GNOME Office presentation at GUADEC 2 is being
given by Dom and Jody of AbiWord and Gnumeric.  The GNOME Office web
pages splits the difference by talking about "multiple projects
underway under the GNOME Office umbrella".

So the lack of decisions is causing confusion.

	sam th
	sam uchicago edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
	GnuPG Key: