Re: Getting Bugzilla support into Bug-buddy

On Tue, 06 Feb 2001 07:16:14 EST, Alan Cox wrote:

>>     http://bugzilla.gnome.org/bugzilla.gnome.org/bugzilla-products.xml
>>     http://bugzilla.gnome.org/bugzilla.gnome.org/bugzilla-config.xml
>>
>> To do it perfect, each bug-buddy release tarball should contain a copy of
>> these files, store it somewhere and ask the user on startup whether he wants
>> to update it. This way bug-buddy will have an up-to-date product/component
>> list but still work for people without network connection.
>
>That will be a really nice touch.
>
>The other question to go with this is whether a lot of the 'fringe' projects
>that merely happen to be gnome.org projects ought to get gently nudged out
>of the core gnome bugzilla. The reason for saying that is that there are not
>enough people working on gnome infrastructure/site admin to keep up with
>the demands of these because most folks are busy working on their rival
>Ximian or Eazel projects and so the number of effective actual gnome core
>contributions has dropped massively rather than risen as might originally
>have been expected. It may thus be that sourceforge is a better place to
>manage those bug trackers.

Unless Bug Buddy is taught how to automagically pick the correct
bugtracker for a package (and I somehow doubt that will work
correctly, at least at this stage), I would hate to see us push *any*
of the packages out of bugzilla.gnome.org.  It will just result in
lost or misfiled reports, and probably a few conspiracy theories
about trying to push small projects out of GNOME. :)

Is there really a marginal resource cost for each product/component
on Bugzilla?

(And Martin: Thanks for your work on the bugtracker--- it may have
been unacknowledged, but it wasn't unnoticed.)

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal		Columbia Law School, Class of 2002
<rms39 columbia edu>		Columbia College, Class of 1999