gnome_cv_use_gnome=yes ?

Hey hackers,

Was looking at gnome-applets/configure.in for my daily dose of
masochism.  Noticed a "gnome_cv_use_gnome=yes" line at the top, right
before the GNOME_INIT.

Had no clue what it was for, did some searching.  Doesn't in fact
appear to be used anywhere in the configure.in, in macros/*, or
anywhere else actually.

A 'find -type f | xargs grep gnome_cv_use_gnome' from my ~/cvs/
indicates this variable still exists in the configure.in for:

	  control-center
	  control-center-1-0
	  gnome-applets
	  gnome-applets-1-2
	  gnome-core
	  gnome-core-1-2
	  gnome-games
	  gnome-libs
	  gnome-libs-1-0
	  libcapplet

But, it looks like the only place that this variable is
checked/used/cared about is gnome-core-1-2/gemvt/configure.in, which
is obsolete code, the gemvt dir has already been removed from HEAD
gnome-core, and stable tarballs haven't included the dir for a while.

So, it looks like some remnant from the older days of GNOME's build
system, when I was just a wee lad.  Anyone recall what this line is
for, and thus whether it's safe to go ahead and remove this line from
all these packages now?

Thanks,
Jason.