Re: Gnome profiling ....

> handler - problem is it uses a rendering model that is (AFAICS) the
> standard in Gtk+ 2.0 - so quite possibly all Gtk+ 2.0 programs will have
> horrendous latency issues via remote X ( we could prolly fix this with
> render extension help, but few older / non-free systems have this (?) ).

X lets you reliably detect and know if the render extension is present - so
using it isnt an exclusive thing. Pretty much all platforms that matter
support Xrender with XFree 4.x (remember XFree 4 builds and runs on stuff
well beyond Linux/FreeBSD). If its a valuable resource then I'd expect that
it would appear quite promptly in future Solaris and HP X servers too

Alan