Request for comments about Yelp (Helpbrowser)

Hi!

I was playing around with WindowsXP and tried out there Helpbrowser, it
was very nice indeed. They have the concept of a "Home" where you can
click on different topics which takes you to the contents-view.

I'm thinking of implementing this in Yelp, with a Home-view that could
look something like:
http://people.codefactory.se/~micke/yelp/help-home.html

Clicking on one of the links will take you to the contents-view:
http://people.codefactory.se/~micke/yelp/yelp-01.png

What do you all think about this approach?

The other thing I'd like to be discussed is what to do about man and
info? The problem is that some users don't know what man/info is, some
other users might want to browse only man or info, etc.

I think there are three possible solutions:

1) Make them there own toplevel nodes: (as man in the help-home.html
   view). This is the easiest way (as done in Nautilus today).

2) Try to merge them into the rest of the documents (don't ask me how).
   This is probably hard to do in a good way. It is also (imho) bad
   because though people don't have to care about what 'man' is the
   documents will not be in the same style as the rest of the documents
   which might be confusing anyway.

3) Just don't show man/info and only show the documents that are in
   Scrollkeeper.

So I'd like opinions on this as well.

And finally, the last question:

Will there be some documentation that will always be installed? I think
that having some documentation that is always present would be pretty
nice, and it will also make it possible to create a better "Home"-view
since not all data is dynamic (ie. we could perhaps create a section in
Scrollkeeper that will always be filled with documents).

These documents would be about control-center/panel/other things that
might fit in.

So, what do you all think about these issues?

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/