Re: Lovely flamewar ...

+++ Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 06:49:04PM -0500 +++
Michael Meeks e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.

> Hi Guys,
>
>         Can we get hacking again ? I see lots of irrelevance I have to
> read in my inbox.
>
>         To clarify my position - CORBA is great for remote components -
> but probably not GUI ones.

Um, I've not followed this thread; actually this is the first mail on
this subject I read. My comment is totally unqualified, I'm afraid...
and not related to technology, just to marketing...  yet as a
non-hacker who's done a fair lot of GNOME promotion, I must say that
we'd lose one of the big selling points in our bulleted list of GNOME
goodness if we dropped CORBA from the component model.

Actually, it's the one big ideological advantage of GNOME over KDE we
push, i.e. "we adhere to standards, they don't".

Now don't say I'm not supposed to promote GNOME by comparing it to KDE
-- you end up doing it anyway. If you avoid the subject in the talk,
you just get more questions about it afterwards and at the booth.

mawa
--
blisteciosis, n.:
    the condition of lips which have completely abandoned any attempt