Re: Our (real) problems

On 31Aug2001 12:17AM (-0400), Michael Meeks wrote:

> 	Indeed - it really doesn't - and here is the proposed solution for
> Bonobo 2.0;
>
> 	For control aggregates and out of proc. components we set the imortal
> flag on the aggregate. This effectively makes ref / unrefs a no-op;
> consequently ref counting has no effect. Instead we track the linc
> connection on the exposed interfaces and listen for the "broken" signal
> - and slave the lifecycle to the domain socket breaking.
>
> 	So for the factory we terminate when all our controls die.

This is a good step forward (basically the same thing as the current
workaround in Nautilus for this problem).

But what about out of process non-gui components, like the Evolution
wombat server, or config monikers or other stuff of that sort? Maybe
we could come up with some special-case fix for each individual
instance of this problem, but wouldn't it be better to come up with a
truly general solution?

Regards,

Maciej