Re: GNOME CVS: libgnome martin

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 07:00:49PM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > So, just to clarify: is the intention to remove sound support totally
> > from the initial GNOME 2.0 release and the platform and then add it at a
> > later point (to GNOME 2.2, perhaps)? If so, does anyone else feel this
> > is a problem? (Especially in light of the reverse in functionality for a
> > major step forward of the platform)
>
> Does sound have to be part of gnome right now. Because
> most of it can be done via the esd api (yes esd is crap but the api
> can driver anything else that goes boing whizz and whumpf)
>
> If so just keep the esd library api, and figure it out for 2.1

But GNOME sound (at least in some limited form) does work without ESD, right?
I would be sad to see that go away. And if we'll be moving to something that
isn't based on ESD in the future, encouraging people to use the ESD apis now
is the wrong thing to do.

Breaking source compatibility to force people to move to a new API is one
thing but removing functionality seems like the wrong approach.

Ian

--
programming is my one outlet
it beats the sickness in my chest