Re: More fun with sound (was GNOME CVS: libgnome martin)

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 10:12:50AM -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> An argument against it, but along the same lines, is we should hold off
> so we could play nicely with KDE's sound system if we can, ala the
> .desktop format and the window manager spec.

Exactly.  So if I use esd in the panel, then people using apps that don't use
esd are screwed.  If I use some other daemon ... same thing.  Not even if
most things update, then the panel may still use esd.

That is CRAP!!!!

Let's judge these things from the view of the USER, not of the application
developper.  The user is going to be pissed since things related to sound are
going to suck a lot more in gnome2, just because we think the API is not
"nice" or "perfect".

If the old api is left in place, most apps will use it cuz they don't care
about any low level support for playing boings and bangs and swoosh sounds,
and the user will still be able to configure sound nicely in one place.
Also, if we ever bless some sort of a sound daemon, we can switch this API to
use that sound daemon, and perhaps even deprecate it and tell people to use
the sound daemon api directly.

Anyway, desktop kinds of sounds shouldn't be played directly by apps, but by
the desktop libs, this is what libgnome is for anyway.  If I want to do a
panel swoosh I should say:

gnome_play ("panel-swoosh");

And the user, theme or whatever configures that sounds gets it right.  And
that's what currently happens, and that's what we're gonna lose apparently.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.