Re: API Fragmentation and Cleanup

Hi Mathieu,

    How have you been doing after GUADEC ?

On 27 Apr 2001 23:19:40 +0000, Mathieu Lacage wrote:

> 3) the most complicated solution: WRITE GREAT DOCUMENTATION.
> This includes in the order of most important to least important:
>
>     - overall architectural introduction to the Gnome development
>     platform.
>     - overall architectural introduction to major parts of the
>     development platforms. This includes a quick tour of the code with
>     pointers to important source files.
>     - pointers to great API documentation.

    Precisely what I think too. What GNOME needs really is this
    alongwith an effort to clean-up as much of the APIs in whatever
    reasonable time frame we find suitable.

    Kenny, remember that we do understand and acknowledge the need for
    cleaning up and getting rid of duplication etc etc. I think the main
    reason for all this was the rapid development of GNOME (especially
    Bonobo and stuff) which now surely deprecate stuff in gnome-libs (am
    I right here ?)

    At GUADEC this year, I remember Michael, Havoc and everybody
    discussing how they would port all apps to the 2.0 platform after it
    becomes stable (stable Bonobo, GTK+ 2.0 etc) and in this process, if
    we can take a good look at cleaning up the stuff too, it would be
    great. And while we do this, I think we should do what Mathieu
    suggests : write all the above for the GNOME 2.0 platform and keep
    any old stuff only for compatibility and document it separately.

    How does this sound ?

> What I just described is basically a redesign of the Gnome developer
> documentation ? volunteers ? I volunteer myself to hack an outline of it

    Count me in any day of the year ! This is certainly something I am
    willing to take on and help with.

    Let's work it out, people.

    Regards,

        Ravi

--
"If you're smart, you'll be humble. There always is somebody
who hasn't read a book and knows twice as much as you do."

              -- David Duchonvy in Readers' Digest

        Ravi Pratap M         <ravi che iitm ac in>
                      <http://www.iitm.ac.in/~ravi>