Re: API Fragmentation and Cleanup

>     * Panel
>
>     The panel is the only program which has "scrolling menus", which
>     allows people to use menus larger than their screen, rather than just
>     cutting them off like standard GTK does. No other program I know of
>     does this, although perhaps bonobo menus do - I am not sure. This
>     really is something that belongs as the default behavior of all
>     menus in GTK+, for *all* programs; it has absolutely no business in
>     the panel whatsoever. The panel may be a common place where this is
>     needed, but I can think of others, and this is really only leading
>     to inconsistency.

The development version of gtk+ already does scrolling menus, and the code
in panel is probably derived from that.  So in the future all gtk+
programs will have this feature (ie. then next version of the GNOME
development platform).

Given that the panel may have arbitrarily large menus (and quite often the
menus are taller than 480 or 600 pixels), having the scrolling ability is
quite useful for small screens.  It seems like a good compromise to back
port that code for this program.

James.