Re: [Nautilus-list] Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

On 14 Apr 2001 09:53:03 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Jeff Waugh <jdub aphid net> writes:
>
> > <quote who="Havoc Pennington">
> >
> > > public_html is a hard one. Nautilus and Evolution should be
> > > dot-directories, they annoy me in command line mode too. Or would if I
> > > didn't have 500 disorganized things in ~ anyway. ;-) Since they are
> > > only program-edited I don't get why I have to see them.
> >
> > As much as I dislike magic files or folders, perhaps some educated magery
> > could help here. For long-time "standard" things such as public_html,
> > perhaps a perky icon is in order.
> >
> > Of course, if anyone says anything like "My Web Files", I'd be the first to
> > fire up the flamethrower. ;)
> >
> > What are the main reasons that make "hackers" see this as a bad thing?
>
> Well, I think the problem is twofold:
>
>  - Lots of random apps do put stuff there by default
>    (I have axhome/ office52/ News/ Mail/, etc)
>
>  - I might want to have the ability to choose
>
>    a) What appears on my desktop (things that should be accessible
>       quickly through the file manager)
>
>    b) What is in my home directory
>
>    Independently. Most novice users probably don't care. Most
>    experienced userse are probably quite attached to their home
>    direct layout.
>
> There is a conceptual simplicity to making them unified. I'm
> not sure that given a) we'd have to do lots of magic to hide
> stuff b) it would have to be configurable; that that conceptual
> simplicity turns into real simplicity.
>

> I will repeat one thing:
>
>  THE DESKTOP DIRECTORY SHOULD NOT BE A HIDDEN FILE

I don't use the desktop. If the desktop where the HOME sure I will use
it from the first time I install GNOME. I have to read this thread to
discover the powerfull of the desktop and the image from the tigert
desktop is very impressive.I am going to try the simlynk from
.gnome-desktop to my HOME.

An experiencie from a user/hacker perspective ;-)

Cheers

-- Alvaro