Re: Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

If someone is interested in developing a server for mount notification,
it would be amazing to have a one-stop-shop API for notifications about:

a) local mounts
b) removable media (floppy, cd-rom, zip, jaz)
c) shares on the LAN

b) is important because for example Linux and Solaris have very different
ways of handling removable media; we need to abstract these mechanisms
in Nautilus. c) is important because a LAN of workstations could have a
"network neighbourhood" feel if there was a way to find out about shares
on machines in the LAN.

The end-result of having a common notification API for mounts and shares
is you get an entry point for all storage mechanisms for a server.

It might be worth considering GConf as a mechanism for this notification
because:
- it provides an API for getting data
- it supports notification
- it allows information about a 'store' (e.g. a filesystem, a directory tree,
  a device, a WebDAV server) to be augmented with other properties or keys

I would actually suggest using GCOnf as an implementation technology and
layering a simple API on top of GConf (for replace-ability and ease of
programming).

My personal belief is that this "storage" API would ultimately also include
notification about changes in the filesystem, perhaps based around the
'fam' server.

Thoughts? ;)

Colm.