Re: File Dialog

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 03:46:05PM -0400, Liam Quin wrote:
> What did CDE do wrong?

	It was bloated, slow, and ugly.  It had the footprint of OS X
Aqua, but on 25MHz machines with 32MB of RAM.  I've used it in these
circumstances, and it is monumentally painful.  I've also used it on
fast PowerPC machines with 256MB of RAM, and it is usable, but only as a
window manager + launcher bar.  Nothing more.  Not a lot for that
footprint.
	In general, CDE was a compromise.  IBM and Sun accepted it as
the price of HP joining the Closed Group.  It wasn't the bet technology,
just the one they chose.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #20