Re: news.gnome.org again

Owen Taylor wrote:

> I really don't think we need complicated algorithms.
>
> If we simply:
>
>  - Require people to register an account before posting
>  - Require the account registration process involve receiving mail.

Then you keep people outside who just want to ask simple questions or have some
comments but don't want (or regard it important enough) to go through a registration
process ,wait for some confirmation and remember passwords. People you surely want to
have on news.gnome.org.
On the other hand, I don't see how this would keep away flamers and trolls. These
people are usually quite motivated and don't mind getting an email-address and waiting
for an account.

So you keep out poeple who I think are a main target for news.gnome.org while still
having flames and trolls. IMHO a recipe for disaster.

> Then we establish a chain of accountability; if people feel responsible
> for their postings, they will be less inclined to troll and flame.
>
>  - Yes, it's a little bit more painful; however, I think from this thread that
>    it is clear that having gnotices be a mini-slashdot is not something
>    we need.

Agree.
As to speak of slashdot. If you have several hundrets of comments for one article then
you need a moderation scheme since most readers cannot efford to read all comments.
Even though it's clear that the slashdot filter doesn't work optimal it is requred for
slashdot to be usefull at all.
It would be pointless for news.gnome.org since the average number of replies to one
article is less than 30 (a rough guess).

>  - And yes, it can be spoofed by creating a temporary account on hotmail
>    or something; as long as we make the process of creating an account
>    comparable work to the process of deleting an account, we are OK.
>
>  - Yes, this doesn't allow truly anonymous postings. I think there are
>    other forums for that.

AFAIK news.gnome.org is the only news/discussion site devoted to gnome. What other
forums do you see??

Since noone else does, I would like to say that I'm against any filtering/moderating
or requiring of accounts for news.gnome.org for the simle reason that these things
would hinder communication and the exchance of ideas == bad thing.

btw, is there any meaningful statistics available for news.gnome.org ?

greetings
FF