Re: Full time sysadmin for GNOME

Chema Celorio <chema ximian com> writes:

> Every time people have problems with the services on out boxes we
> need to bug people like martin or owen, both of which are doing lots
> of other important stuff for GNOME and it just feels not right
> having to bug them for stuff like this. I am a bit sick of having to
> do this.

> There are a lot of tasks that need to get done, and I have the
> feeling that this colaboration effort is not beeing good enough for
> our needs/objectives. I can think of lots of tasks that we need a
> sysadmin for.

One thing I want to do that will help this situation is to make a major
upgrade to the machines themselves. I am going to try to go to
hardware vendors and see if anyone will donate three brand new rack
mounted machines. If we get this done we can put a good, stable OS on
them and slowly move our services to them while we clean up those
things.

I expect that this would help us immensely with the machines going
down from time to time (and BTW, the last time it went down, there was
something like a 2 month uptime before so I am not sure it as bad as
it feels).

I will start doing this free hardware search soon and keep everyone up
to date. If we are successful in getting the hardware lets be very
anal about what is on the new machines, and how often we change it -
that has been the main problem IMHO.

Cheers,

Dave
--