Re: EEL vs. GAL

Ian McKellar wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The major difference I can see between GAL and EEL is that GAL is primarily
> GPLed, and EEL is primarily LGPLed.
>
> My quick count shows 22% (11/49) C files in EEL are GPLed, whereas 1% (1/148)
> of GAL is GPLed. I think the intention is that EEL code can be merged back
> into gtk and gnome-libs. Perhaps the GPLed portions of EEL will end up in GAL.
>
> I've never really been clear on why GAL is GPLed, it seems that it just makes
> it a pain in the arse for us to make these very useful widgets part of the
> standard platform.
>
> Ian (not speaking for Eazel or Ramiro)

I never even counted.  Making sure the licenses are "right" is somewhere
in a TODO list.  The parts written by Eazel hackers are definitely going
to be LGPL.  Also, the license for librsvg will be LGPL, even though I
think it currently says GPL.  Its very likely that there is cruft in
there that violates the purity of essence of at least 1 person.

Whether this is the "major" difference is of course highly subjective.

-re