Re: Bugs in Bugzilla

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs eazel com> writes:

> Joe Shaw <joe helixcode com> writes:
>
> > > It requires an account even for submission to ensure a valid email
> > > address.
> >
> > Yeah, this stinks, and doesn't fit in well with bug-buddy. If users find
> > they have to register to submit a bug, they just won't do it. Just because
> > a user doesn't have a valid email address doesn't make the bug not
> > worthwhile.
> >

> Well, it makes it impossible to follow up with the user if the info in
> the bug report is insufficient. Or for the user to be notified when
> the bug is closed, so it can be verified.
>
> I think mandating a valid email address is acceptable. If we want to
> be able to get feedback other than that, it could be filed as "problem
> reports" which are only turned into real bug reports when someone
> looks at them and distills relevant information. But I don't think
> that is particularly critical.

I agree - a bug report where we can't get back to the submitter
is most likely useless for us, and thus a waste of the bug reporters
time.

We simple need to make it easy to register to submit bugs; if the
bugzilla system is too hard (I think it isn't), then what we can
do is:

 When we receive a bug report from somebody without an account,
 we put it on a "holding list" then send a confirmation
 form which has two options:

  [ ] Please create a new account for me, and mail me the password

  [ ] Please use the existing bugzilla account for the email address

 If they don't reply, then the bug is left in holding status until
 someone looks at it.

Regards,
                                        Owen