Re: CVS policy

jg pa dec com (Jim Gettys) writes:

> 6) I think it may be useful to distinguish projects hosted in the
> GNOME CVS, from those shipped in the core gnome distribution: one
> should not necessarily imply the second.  In the X distribution for a long
> time there was an active "contrib" section; this is worthwhile.
>
> Where the core X distribution fell down was that there was no process
> for things to migrate into (and out of) the core distribution. Both
> need to be handled.  New tools come along which should supplant the old,
> even if the old continue to compile and run, they do get to the point
> where they aren't worth maintaining.

We have active release coordinators for both the Gnome 1.4 release
proper, and the Gnome 1.4 Extra Apps release (something similar to the
"contrib" release for X11, except that in our case everything is
contributed :-). We are already planning to move stuff from the core
release into the extra apps release for 1.4, and I can imagine
migration the other way or dropping things entirely in the future.

So we definitely have this distinction and I think we are managing it
reasonably well.

 - Maciej