Re: New KDE web site.

Alan Cox <alan redhat com> writes:

> > It is a very bad idea to do on-the-fly processing on static data (PHP as
> > opposed to WML), because it causes the generated pages to have an
> > expiration age of 0, thus making the user agents reload the pages every
> > time they are visited (which is really bad for users with slow links).
>
> That depends if you set it otherwise or not. Implementation issue. Doing
> the processing in advance is good for machine load however

If system load from PHP is high enough to be a concern, I'm
absolutely positive (without having to look) that someone has
a system for doing server-side caching of the generated
content.

[ or it could be set up with wget from a cron job in a few minutes ]

I tend to agree with Joakim here that ditching WML would be a good
idea - WML is a pretty amazingly cludgy tower of M4, Perl, its own
variable substitution and 2 or 3 other things (!). And since we're
using a mix of WML and PHP, we'eve lost the main advantages of WML -
static content and the ability to test without a web server.

Regards,
                                        Owen