Re: New KDE web site.

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

> Ditch auto* and WML, use PHP headers and footers. WML and Auto* are the main
> reason why volunteers drop off, they can't get it set up, don't understand
> how to make it work, etc. This is despite the fact that they are experienced
> web developers. On the other hand, *everyone* knows PHP. Performance is not a
> problem, given that we use the PHP method on Helix Code's sites now, and it
> works fine, even during the peaks like the 1.2 release.

It is a very bad idea to do on-the-fly processing on static data (PHP as
opposed to WML), because it causes the generated pages to have an
expiration age of 0, thus making the user agents reload the pages every
time they are visited (which is really bad for users with slow links).

--
   .--= ULLA! =----------------------------.  finger cactus cactus rulez org
   \      http://cactus.rulez.org           \   for PGP public key