Re: KDE 2.0 impressions

Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Padraig O'Briain wrote:
> > would assume from a statement I saw on another message that GTK 2.0
> > will use symbol scope reduction that the intention is to use it.
>  I saw that, i wonder what tools they plan to use to do that. Owen?

Libtool has an option to do that. Try `libtool --mode=link --help'. It's
called -export-symbols-regex. AFAIK, public GTK symbols start with gtk
and private symbols start with _gtk. If you request this service from
libtool, it will first build shared object, then use nm to extract
symbols from it, then apply regexp to select only the ones you want,
build mapfile from them and then link the shared object again with
the mapfile applied. So you get symbol reduction, but I think you can't
have versioning with this method. X11 build does something similar, but
without libtool.

> > Solaris does have an option which allows for lazy loading of objects.
> > Objects which have been labelled for lazy loading will not be loaded
> > unless explicitly To use Solaris-speak it seems that on Linux the
> > efect is the same as if all shared libraries are labelled for lazy
> Well. Libraries are always mapped when they're loaded, but any symbol
> references/function calls are not resolved until used.

It's not possible to defer all symbol resolutions. Copy relocations must
be handled before the application gains control.

--
 .-.   .-.    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done.