Re: KDE 2.0 impressions

> KDE applications are implemented as shared objects, ie. there is
> /opt/kde/lib/kwrited.so, /opt/kde/lib/kwrite.so, /opt/kde/lib/kicker.so
> and so on. This is presumably PIC code, so it's somewhat slower than
> non-PIC version.
>
> > give us a view of how much of the process size is shared between processes.
> > Although interesting, I do not think that this has much impact on startup
> > time for applications. I am assuming that a non-memory constrained world
>
> I think it does...
>
> > although I realize that some people do not inhabit such a world.
>
> ...regardless of this. I meant that KDE method has impact, not the amount
> of shared code between processes.

I could speculate on why KDE performance has improved but I would prefer not to
as I do not have all the facts at my disposal. It DOES look like what KDE did is
a hack and while it may have improved performance it hardly passes the
"elegance" test. As I was a mathematician before I was a software engineer this
is important to me.

Padraig