Re: platform compatibility policy

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> The only totally objective rule I can think of is "no new interfaces
> in micro releases." But this seems to make people unhappy.

Another option, instead of having an absolutely clear definition, is
stating who makes the final call on whether a new interface is small
enough or necessary enough. That too would help resolve the gray
areas.

> Just noticed that GTK's versioning doesn't work the way we're
> describing here, e.g. GTK 1.2.9 is in GNOME 1.4. So by
> major/minor/micro we're referring to GNOME version not library
> version.

Yes, we have an overall platform version as well as individual library
and package versions.

 - Maciej