Re: cvs repository mirroring by rsync disabled?

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:34:17 +0700, Ross Golder wrote:

[...]
> I suggest that rather than rsyncing from the laggy mirrors, you apply to
> be one of the laggy mirrors yourself ;) That way, you'll have
> authenticated access to the live sources, on the provision that you join
> a round robin or two, and allow public access to your cache etc.
>
> I doubt I'll get round to it this century, but I was hoping to write a
> simple cron script that notes which ',v' files have changed in the last
> x minutes, and just pushes those to a list of mirrors (reporting any
> failures immediately). That could be used to reduce the lag on the
> anoncvs mirrors to a negligible amount (say 5-10 mins), and help us spot
> problems before they get reported by developers. I can't see it being
> more than a few tens of lines of code/script, if that.
[...]

Well, I cannot provide a mirror - I am on a download-limited ADSL
connection :-). In the same vein, being pushed all changed files
is not really an option, either.

As I said, I was just mirroring those parts of the CVS repo which
I am using in order to save bandwidth when new versions come out,
and I assume this does not put too much of a load on the rsync
server. (One can do this by specifying subdirectories to rsync.)

I would be most happy to sync off even a delayed copy of the CVS
tree, but I did not find any other except the now defunct
anoncvs.gnome.org (not really defunct, but not providing the CVS
tree via rsync any more).

Regards,

Martin

--