Re: Proposed modules for 2.10 wanted NOW

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 11:18 +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
> It's written in python and makes extensive use of libglade and the
> python-gnome and pygtk bindings.

Have python and pygtk etc been accepted as 'the' (or 'a') GNOME
scripting language? Maybe I've missed the discussion, but last I knew
there had been no decision about whether to include a scripting language
as a GNOME platform dependency, or if so which language it would be
(holy war!).

Call me old-fashioned, but I'm one of those people who would prefer to
see the core desktop stay completely written in C, as per the GNU
guidelines. If I have a problem with a C program, I can always debug it.
However, I do not yet have the time to learn all the nuances of all the
fancy scripting languages that are come into existence over the last few
years.

That is not to say that I don't think Divifund should be a
GNOME-endorsed program, just that it should reside outside of the 'core'
desktop, such as in the 'fifth toe' (or whatever that is called now)
because it would otherwise introduce unnecessary dependencies.

I agree that most individuals, families and businesses would find a
financial program very useful, but I'd rather wait until something
written in plain C comes along before it goes into the core desktop. I'm
still hoping the GnuCash guys can wean themselves off of Guile at some
point - I've got a whole list of packages I'd like to remove from my
system that are only used by gnucash! All my financial data is tied up
in GnuCash format at the moment. Does Divifund do a similar job and is
it compatible in any way?

Just my (old-fashioned) opinion.

--
Ross