Re: Moving Alexandria in the GNOME CVS

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 23:12 +0100, Sander Vesik wrote:
>  --- Telsa Gwynne <hobbit aloss ukuu org uk> wrote:

> > > If it's free software, not patent-encumbered, is using GNOME/GTK+
> > > technologies, and has had a release, then I don't know what would be
> > > stopping it from being hosted in GNOME CVS.
> > >
> > > Also, noone has been objecting so far (at least not publically), so I
> > > think it's safe to assume that it's OK with the community.
> >
> > I hate to do this, but the name might be a problem. I have a
> > vague idea that scrollkeeper was originally to be called
> > Alexandria, undoubtedly for the same reasons. And that there
> > was already a project using the same name. And scrollkeeper
> > therefore couldn't use it.
> >
> > Can anyone (Sander, Malcolm, Dan?) recall the details?
>
> Nope. Probably would have been before my interest in scrollkeeper too. Another
> person who might be able to recall might be Laszlo.

We had a brief discussion on the gnome-sysadmin list about this, and we
came up with web links to at least four other software projects with the
same name.

I've attached the last e-mail in that thread. One of the links might
ring a bell somewhere.

--
Ross

--- Begin Message ---
On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 21:32, Ross Golder wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 19:32 +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> > fre 2004-07-30 klockan 11.11 skrev Laurent Sansonetti:
>
> > > Also, I would like to ask for a general mailing list
> > > (alexandria-list gnome org sounds good),
> >
> > Should be possible. I don't have the time to fix this myself this week
> > though.
> >

> I can do this, if required. Probably better to wait a bit first to be
> sure there are no firm objections or changes of mind regarding the
> project name. Here are a couple of other software projects I turned up
> with the same name on Google:
>
> http://www.goalexandria.com/
> http://www.gnu.org/software/alexandria/lsm2003/html/slide_4.html
> http://alexandria.sdc.ucsb.edu/public-documents/proposal/node5.html

Mmh, I wasn't aware of the naming issue...

I found another project with the same name:

http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria/

If it's really problematic we can consider a name change.  Alexandria
seems to be already used by several free software projects.  But AFAIK
Alexandria isn't used by the Debian, Mandrake and FreeBSD packaging
system yet (I believe it's the same case for Redhat/Fedora as well).

We already have official Mandrake packages, and IIRC our Debian packages
are on the way to be approved in the official repository.

What should we do?

Have a nice week-end,

--
Laurent