Re: Join the SVG Flag revolution!

Hi Rich,
	The application you're looking for is called autotrace.  The frontend
is called frontline.  You can find them here:

	http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/
	http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/frontline

It works okay, although it's a fairly manual process.  (Actually, it
might get more automatic if you have a bunch of similar images.)  My
experience shows that it's good for starting the sketch, but works best
if you're prepared to clean the image up afterward.

On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 16:39, Christian Schaller wrote:
> Hi Rich,
> I don't know any such tools, and I have to admit to being sceptical of
> the quality of such conversions. Luckily we are already getting lots of
> submissions :)
>
> Christian
>
> On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 17:55, Rich Burridge wrote:
> > > Do you have anything that can convert from .gif format to SVG format?
> > >
> > > Over the last 10-12 years, Steve Kinzler has captured a *lot* of flags
> > > as the "unknown" image for each domain, for the faces project. They are
> > > in .gif format. They might be a good starting point.
> > > For that collection of small .gifs of various domains, see:
> > >
> > > ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/faces/picons/db/domains.tar.Z
> >
> > Ack! What I meant to say was, do you have anything that can convert
> > from .xpm to SVG format? Each of the faces are in .xbm, .gif and .xpm,
> > the latter being the one most likely to be able to be converted to a
> > vector format.

Benjamin Kahn <xkahn ximian com>
                    Special Projects
W: 617 / 375 - 3811