Re: GNOME ALSA Mixer

Hi Derrick,
We plan on switching the mixers in GNOME to using GStreamer
0.8.x for GNOME 2.6. The advantage of this is that we wouldn't need
to compile the mixer with OSS or ALSA support (or any other sound
architecture for that matter), but instead the mixer
can be used with all the sound architectures we have support for
in GStreamer.

As mentioned by Mark so have we had a discussion on this on
gnome-multimedia mailing list.

If you would be interested in helping us with the alsa mixer support in
GStreamer that would be really really wonderfull, in fact
it would be highly needed.

The OSS code is already in GStreamer CVS head and will be in our
GStreamer 0.7.1 release that will happen in one of the next few days.

Please either reply to this mail (think you can remove the gnome-hackers
list from the cc'list and we take this onto gnome-multimedia) or come to
#gstreamer on irc.freenode.com

Ronald Bultje (BBB on IRC) is the person who has made both the OSS mixer
interface in GStreamer and he has also made a mixer GUI for GNOME using
it.

Hope to hear back from you Derrick.

Sincerely,
Christian