RE: CVS inclusion request

> > While other people would like us to host anything and anything, I
> > personally don't think we should be hoting stuff for people who are
> > not already contributors. If we do, then we become sourceforge.
> >
> > Does this person already have a cvs account? Should he have
> one on the
> > basis of existing GNOME contributions?
>
> Wait, that's a really stupid policy. The cunning way around
> your idea is that his contribution is his new software. So
> he's a GNOME contributor. But the *spirit* of your policy is
> deeply flawed! It's not encouraging at all,

I think it is. I think it's encouraging to say, "Join us, work with us, see
the benefits of being part of this community. Fix a few bugs and feel
special."

> and I would argue
> that, to an extent, we *do* want to be a forge of GNOME
> software creation and improvement (though not necessarily the
> big, one size fits all, all you can eat, SF.NET style).
>
> While we have limits on CVS size and performance right now,
> soon that will not be an issue. The more software in our CVS,
> the more likely we will have a translated, accessible,
> usable, etc., etc., etc. range of software for our users.
>
> No artificial barriers.

That's a nice idea, but I think our resources will always be finite even if
they are increased. Sourceforge-like levels of activity will test those
finite limits, whatever they are. But I'm just theorizing and it's not a big
deal to me.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net