GNOME 2.0 is 1 year old ... " We've come a long, long way together.... "

Hey there,

Prompted by a very recent gnomedesktop.org post, it seems like an
opportunity to celebrate the project a little, if only to say 'Thanks'
to everyone involved...

At GUADEC 2 in Copenhagen, there was huge amounts of discussion - I
remember wondering if we would ever see GTK+ 2.0, seeing Maciej and
Martin tag-teaming around a whiteboard with GNOME 2.0 plans, lots of
enthusiasm, crazy and wonderful ideas and so much inspiration [1].....

One year later.

At GUADEC 3 in Seville, we had a bone fide release team doing some
amazing work, single handedly leading the charge to release GNOME 2.0.
The conference was charged, everyone convinced that we were going to
nail the release.

When Jeff and myself sat down to think about what we were going to say
during the welcome session of GUADEC 4 in Dublin, we started looking
back to last year.

It's incredible to think that not only have we released GNOME 2.0, but
also released 3 bug-fixing stable releases. Not only that, but we've
also rocketed forward to release GNOME 2.2, and a further 2 bug-fixing
stable releases. And here we are, well on our way towards GNOME 2.4 -
our best yet.

It seems appropriate to mention Thomas' advogato diary entry again,
although he'll probably kill me for this -

"And I see that these are the people that write my desktop, and over
time I am becoming one of them, and these are all good people sharing a
common goal And I got to know them and trust me when I say that they can
be trusted to do the best possible job, whether employed by a company or
in their free time. And I look around, and I see that it's all good, and
tomorrow there will be more of us, and what we are doing makes sense."

Happy Birthday GNOME 2.0. ROCK ON!

Glynn

[1] Inspiration or crack, depending on how you look at it ;)