removing previous installed files

Hey,
	So, not for the first time, I'm presented with the need to be sure that
when a new version of a package is installed a file that was in previous
versions of the package is removed - it cannot be left lying around.

	Now, what I did previously was just install a zero-length version of
the file - but that's not ideal. Is there anything wrong with something
like

install-data-local:
	if test -f file-I-want-to-kill; then \
		rm file-I-want-to-kill; \
	fi

	Will this cause any problems for packagers ? Does it go against the
holey laws of the autolord ?

Cheers,
Mark.