Re: Gnome Developer Documentation: how to make 'some' money

ons 2003-01-22 klockan 11.33 skrev Mathieu Lacage:

> > do all of what you ask for (ie. it doesn't do full text search) and I'm
> > not sure what you mean about browsing it in it's native form? Do you
> > mean convert to HTML on the fly or do you mean that the browser should
>
> I mean converting HTML on the fly. I don't consider what you used to do
> (ie: installing automatically-generated HTML) acceptable: this is why I
> ruled out devhelp when I looked at it.

It's not really what I do, but what gtk-doc did. Doing the XML -> HTML
on the fly is not acceptable (as shown in Yelp/gnome-help it takes far
to long time). What we do in Yelp now is we have a pre-generate binary
that takes the XML files and generates HTML which are then used.

Any special reason why you need to have it generate the HTML on the fly?

> > Devhelp mostly support the cross-linking so that you can view the GTK+
> > documents and click links that go into GLib.
>
> How does it work ? How are the doc authors supposed to add cross-linking
> support to their xml documents ?

Well, it's currently (due to the limitations in gtk-doc) pretty simple
and requires that the documents link in a special way. Ie. gtk+ links to
glib with ../glib/foo.html which I then take and strip the .. looks for
a Devhelp book called glib and then displays page foo.html from that
book.

I really think that this part can be done lots of better.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/