Re: Non-POSIX shells

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, ERDI Gergo wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Sander Vesik wrote:
>
> > Solaris users may well have bash installed, but that doesn't help *unless*
> > the script actualy asks for bash and doesn't just pretend that it lives in
> > a world where everybody has /bin/sh or /usr/bin/sh being bash. The same
> > applies if you do s/bash/ksh/ or similar.
>
> so why does Sun ship a non-fully-compliant shell as /bin/sh by default?

Found it (man XPG4):

  Utilities
     If the behavior required by POSIX.2, POSIX.2a, XPG4, SUS, or
     SUSv2  conflicts  with  historical Solaris utility behavior,
     the original Solaris version of the utility is unchanged;  a
     new version that is standard-conforming has been provided in
     /usr/xpg4/bin. For applications wishing to take advantage of
     POSIX.2,  POSIX.2a,  XPG4,  SUS, or SUSv2 features, the PATH
     (sh or ksh) or path (csh) environment  variables  should  be
     set  with  /usr/xpg4/bin  preceding any other directories in
     which  utilities   specified  by  those  specifications  are
     found, such as /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/ucb, and /usr/ccs/bin.

But Solaris is far from only system that has the old-syntax sh as /bin/sh.

> --
>    .--= ULLA! =---------------------.   `We are not here to give users what
>    \     http://cactus.rulez.org     \   they want'  -- RMS, at GUADEC 2001
>     `---= cactus cactus rulez org =---'
> Sex is hereditary -- If your parents never had it, chances are you won't either.

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding