Re: Lets get branches names right this time (was: Re: Proposed release process/plans)

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 17:49, Gediminas Paulauskas wrote:

> I imagine gnome-2-0-0 to live a very short period of time (until gnome
> 2.0.0 is released), and gnome-2-0 to live approx 6 months (until gnome
> 2.2.0 is released), and make 2.0.x releases from it.
>
> I.e. if you have a patch which is too risky to put in a release
> approaching this week, put it into gnome-2-0, and if everything is OK,
> you will release it next time (2.0.1). If it is OK for stable, put it
> into gnome-2-0-0. If it's a new great feature, commit this only to HEAD.
>
> I have drawn a branch/tag/anchor naming scheme for gnome 2.x.x releases

Thanks Gediminas, the diagram is very clear and unambiguous.

The problem with this scheme is that 2-0-0 is "two branches removed"
from HEAD, which is a significant problem in that important patches
(i.e. for stoppers) have to be committed to three places, and ordinary
bugfixes to two places (i.e. 2-0 and HEAD).  That's a bit burdensome...
which is why I propose to hold new features until 2-0-1 branches, or
else put them on their own branch.

-Bill