Bonobomm: See for yourself

Hi,

Last week, I've finally brought my branch of ORBit/C++ to the level of
completition where it can finally compile Bonobo's IDL files. This,
combined with Murray Cumming's Bonobomm efforts so far, enabled me to
write the first working C++ Bonobo applications: one that embeds an
out-of-proc Bonobo control (without having to write a single line of C
code), and one that creates an embeddable control
(BonoboGenericFactory is not wrapped yet, so this one's not 100% pure
C++)

Screenshots of Bonobomm stuff in action:
	* The C++ rewrite of the Bonobo Hello World! application
	      http://cactus.rulez.org/projects/bonobomm/bonobomm-hello.png
	* A C++ application with an embedded panel applet
	      http://cactus.rulez.org/projects/bonobomm/bonobomm-container.png
	* 'test-moniker' from the libbonoboui package embedding a C++
	  control
	      http://cactus.rulez.org/projects/bonobomm/bonobomm-control.png

So now for the most exciting part of all of this: detailed
instructions on how you can see Bonobomm on your own box.

First of all, you'll need GNOME 2.0. You will then have to overwrite
your ORBit2 with a special branch that contains the C++ ORB and IDL
compiler. This is in the 'orbit-cpp-cactus' branch, so the correct CVS
command is:

	cvs get -r orbit-cpp-cactus -d orbit-cpp-cactus ORBit2

This will give you a new orbit-cpp-cactus directory which you should
configure, compile, and install just like a regular package. It will
overwrite your libORBit-2.so so you will want to create a backup
first.

Then you will need the foundation of the GNOME C++ bindings:
libSigC++ and GTKmm. The bindings for Bonobo itself are in the
libbonobomm and libbonobouimm packages:

	cvs get libsigc++-1.2 gtkmm-1.3
	cvs get gnomemm/libbonobomm gnomemm/libbonobouimm

After all is set up, the example applications in
libbonobouimm/examples should contain enough information to get you
started with writing Bonobo-based applications in C++. Note that
Bonobomm is very far from maturity, there are still lots of open
questions and heaps of unwrapped C APIs. If you're interested, join us
on our mailing list at
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bonobomm-devel

Bye,
	Gergo