Re: Gnome Office summary from the Gnome Summit.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 10:57:42AM +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 02:57, Martin Sevior wrote:
> Bill Haneman wrote:
> ---------------------
> Though I am very supportive of gnumeric and abiword, and should say up
> front that I was, regrettably, unable to attend the GNOME-Office talk
> due to a schedule conflict, I am a bit sorry to see almost no mention of
> OpenOffice.org in these minutes.
>
> Hi Bill,
> 	The AbiWord project is supportive of OO too. We even donated our
> cross platform spell checking code to OO.

> OO.o is at the moment the biggest single free-software office suite
> available, and arguably the most complete; as such it is very relevant
> to the goal of a "top notch office productivity package" integrated in
> to the GNOME desktop.
>
> OO is certainly the most complete and has awesome MS filters. The
> AbiWord team may well steal some of the OO filter code when the
> time comes.

Personally I'm very interested in getting the writer filters, and obviously the
word filter, refactored to not have such tight coupling to writer. As it
currently stands it is very tightly bound to writer and would need quite a bit
of work to make it usable seperately by other projects, but I reckon it would
be quite nice it could be.

> Can we get a clear statement about this? Will OO move to GTK 2 on unix?

On the GTK2 thing I don't know much about that but, I can see that the
gsl.openoffice.org people who make up the vcl visual class library people would
also like to make efforts like this a possibility, but again its not a trivial
matter. see
http://gsl.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=363008&listName=dev

The way these things work in OOo, its worth approaching the specific gsl team
for what's going on on that front. They could be your people for ClipBoard
cooperation as well, was miffed myself when I couldn't cut and paste graphics
from gimp to OOo recently :-)

> Does OO have a similar goal to support all the World's Languages? Are they
> interested in using Pango to achieve this? Pango could really use some
> help in both Windows and Printing.

Currently OOo already supports vertical text languages and very recently we've
added added complex right to left language support as well, at least to writer.
(rtl import/export from word .doc added yesterday for example). Its not done
currently with Pango of course.

C.
--
Work: {Star|Open} Office Developer
Ob Clause: Opinions here are mine, not Sun's