Nautilus design choices redux

My last email about this was misunderstood, so I'll try again.
I am not seeking testimonials. I am not seeking estimates, surveys,
or precise measurements of popularity or familiarity.

It is not my intention for this to go into rant sessions. Please stop
replying on the other thread. That's a waste of time, space, effort,
and my patience.

It is my intention to get lists of advantages and disadvantages so
that they may be compared, so that choices can be made with consideration
of the tradeoffs involved, and so that perhaps the losses can be mitigated.

Here again are the questions:

Inline vs. External Views
These two questions pertain to views of data which do not naturally fit a
labelled icon presentation - for example an PDF view. The content of a
tarball naturally fits a labelled icon presentation because it is just files
and folders, so such a view is excluded from the views in question.

What are the advantages of inline views over external views?

What are the advantages of external views over inline views?

Browser-style vs. Spatial Navigation