Re: Nautilus bugs and design choices

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 16:42, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On 8 Jul 2002, David Moles wrote:
>
> > Yes and yes. The last few years of Windows have conditioned too
> > many users to expect them.
>
> > using either feature, but I'm willing to forego that temporarily
> > for the sake of world domination, if need be.
>
> When was the last time someone achieved world domination by imitating
> Windows?
>
> (I'm not vehemently against browser style navigation, just trying to make
> a point...)

The ideal migration is a painless migration. The more things work "as
expected" to that 80%+ of users coming to us from MS Windows, the
happier / more comfortable they'll be.

We should not be thinking about eliminating options that are available
to them in the 'lesser' platform, or the first response of these users
will be: 'this sucks, I can't do <blah> any more.'

Of course, we shouldn't remove other options just because Win32 can't do
(foo) - just as we allow GNOME desktop objects to do things that their
physical, real-world counterparts can't do (e.g. put a folder inside a
folder inside a folder), we should not be removing capabilities that
exist in the real world (e.g. arranging folders in arbitrary order,
throwing away folders, adding/removing contents to/from them)...