Re: [GNOME VFS] Re: Daemons [Was: gob inside gnome-vfs ...]

Hi Dick,

On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 10:33, Dick Porter wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 09:56:17PM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > I'm curious what you think the big disadvantage of a metadata server
> > is, as compared to the obvious advantages of avoiding loss of user
> > data, providing a shared cache with writeback so the disk is hit less
> > often, providing coherent change notification, etc.
>
> And doesnt GConf already give you all of those things?  Has anyone thought
> about using that for storing metadata?

	I'm very under-convinced that that is a good idea. GConf is an
excellent tool for configuration management, that we want to expand in
future. I think there are definite advantages to storing the meta-data
with the data, in the directory.

	Ideally GConf will allow central management, and a remote configuration
server architecture - I don't believe that that will lend itself well to
storing the volume of data that can accumulate in the meta-data, nor be
good for file management latency, nor serve any particularly useful
purpose.

	The argument that all data should be in the same place also backs the
'gconf-fs' kernel module ;-) keeping the meta-data as close to the files
it describes as possible seems by far the most sensible solution to me.

	Regards,

		Michael.