Re: Icon love

Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:

> Hi Havoc,
>
> On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 19:02, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > Since Owen is at lunch, I'll point out that he said "new stock icons
> > are new API" (they add GTK_STOCK_FOO), not "changing stock icons
> > breaks ABI"
> >
> > Calm down. ;-)
>
> 	Gargh - I should read more carefully.
>
> 	Either way - I am _very_ interested in the answers to the questions
> therein - especially wrt. key navigation - [ as per the accessibility
> thread ], and what level of freeze you / Owen are expecting for Gtk+
> 2.0.X and what you expect to go in Gtk+ 2.2.X
>
> 	I believe it might help a number of other people to know as well; so
> perhaps it's not altogether wasted breath - if you could reply.

OK, I'm sick and tired of this FUD and worry, and all that.

People calm down.

I have no intention of doing stupid things with GTK+.

What I told Havoc is that:

 "If key binding changes have a chance of breaking applications, I'd
  rather put them in the 2.2 branch rather than in 2.0.x"

Which I hope makes some sense.

I have every expectation that we'll have a very good level of keynav support
in 2.0.0.

If there are small fixes to keynav support, ("oops, F6 switches to the
wrong pane in paned widgets"), then they can certianly go into 2.0.1.

What I'd be hestitant to do in 2.0.1 is add completely new bindings on
keys that we've never bound before; that doesn't mean that we would
never do it -- if the keys are clearly not keys that apps would be
typically using, then it should be fine.

Note that accelerators have priority over widget key bindings now, so
it takes pretty drastic changes to break applications.

Regards,
                                        Owen