Re: copyright notice format

Daniel Elstner <daniel elstner gmx net> writes:
> Am Son, 2002-12-15 um 17.21 schrieb Ole Laursen:

[...]

> > Also, in the Danish translations I've always used the ASCII
> > representation of Chinese names so that the Danish users will have at
> > least some chance of pronouncing the names.
>
> I like Owens suggestion to provide both the correct name and the Latin
> transliteration.  In any case this not a problem that should be solved
> at the translation level -- gettext() should not be used to work around
> insufficient font setups.

Yes, Owens suggestion is probably the better solution. Using gettext
for localising strings isn't really that bad either, though. :-)

If my name was Søren (o with a slash), I would prefer to have it
written as Soren or Soeren for almost all countries except the few
here in Scandinavia where people actually know how to read and
pronounce the ø.

However, less translation work is good! The "Søren" case is a special
case - most copyrights could probably be made so that there would be
no point in gettexting them. I think the candidate copyright needs to
be announced on gnome-i18n, though. Else it is impossible to know.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/