Re: Bonobo stream API mis-naming ...

Hi Morten,

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 14:45, Morten Welinder wrote:
> If you're lucky and happen to have the "right" include order, this might
> work, although the members might not be called what you thought they were.

	Ok - I can live with that; if we always include the 'right' things,
then the member gets invisibly renamed to 'truncate64' - if the macro
was done in a suitably odd way and the problem goes away - right?

	The alternative is adding Bonobo_Stream_readBytes by changing the IDL,
and adding shims to map Bonobo_Stream_read to that - which is easy
enough - but populating the epv is going to break badly, in a way that
is not API compatible [ but is ABI compatible ]. So I'd very, very much
prefer not to do that.

	OTOH, I'm quite happy for people with uber-wierd systems, to have
extraordinarily named 'truncate64' methods - but then as you say - it
rather depends on the compile flags what that method ends up getting
called - so, that sucks too; but perhaps it sucks less.

	At the end of the day I suppose the root problem is that with the
gnome-vfs-module stuff - you get a load of CFLAGS for exotic 64 bit
system stuff thrown in - and with libbonobo you just don't.

> Because that will bite you in other ways.  How many args does open
> (from libc) have?  How many does the above one have?

	Sigh.

> I'd say the bottom line is to use "Open", not "open" for things like the
> above.

	Still not convinced, suitably unhappy though ;-)

	Any more input ?

		Michael.