Re: gep-1

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 07:56, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> > I would support an expanded "integrate language bindings into the library
> > module" across all of our libraries. Obviously that's a pretty huge
> > seachange, and there are various things to iron out. If it works out well
> > with ORBit2 and maintainers support it, it could be very cool for other
> > languages.
> >
> > (Sorry to just offer a wider scope...)

	It's a fair enough issue to raise; my feeling is that we shouldn't
sway technical choices like this to buttress other un-related but IMHO
pleasant goals - like greater C++ binding adoption.

> Sounds like you need to write your own GEP. (-:

	Absolutely; it seems having C++ stuff more integrated into the 'core'
would be nice - but then again, can they make committments to API and
ABI stability going forward - and do they understand the ramifications
of that ;-)

	My feeling would be that you can't on the 1 hand ask to be in the core
and on the other not be ABI/API stable.

	But it's worth asking some core maintainers to see if they'd support
you creating a GEP on that issue.

	Regards,

		Michael.