Re: First Impressions, gnome 2

Liam Quin <liam holoweb net> writes:
> [4] gnome-terminal "hide menu bar" setting is not remembered -- I have to
>     click it each tiem I open a new terminal, yawnsville.  OK on a 21"
>     screen, not on a 13" laptop.

It's not a setting, just a window state like "shaded" or the window
size. You have to go Edit->Current Profile, and uncheck "show menubar
by default in new windows" if you want it hidden by default.

If it was a setting, then when you did right click->Hide Menubar, it
would hide the menu bar in ALL open terminals. Which would be weird,
right.

The menubar visibility state gets recorded in the session along with
window size, etc., though.

If I made "hide menubar" a setting, I would probably remove it from
the menus, since having it in the menus implies it's something you'll
change often or situationally. If you want to change it situationally
I don't think you want it to affect all terminals as a setting would.

I do expect to get this reported as a bug pretty often.

My only idea to avoid the bug report is to remove it from the menu,
and have the setting be "Show menubar" and the setting affects already
open terminals in addition to default state of new terminals.

If I get deluged with reports of this bug I might do that, I guess.

Havoc