Re: Advice needed on windowmanager configuration with gnome 2

On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 15:03, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Will LaShell <will lashell net> writes:
> > So I just discovered, that with the coming of GNOME2, we will be losing
> > the ability to use a desktop with viewports arranged in a grid. I don't
> > want to really debate whether or not this feature regression is right.
> > I'm going to assume that it was talked about and decided somewhere.
>
> You're confused about the usual thing, which is you are confusing
> "can be arranged in a grid" with "viewports"

ah, true.

> > The current setup uses Xfree86 on dual monitor machines with gnome 1.x,
> > sawfish with a viewport  virtual desktop using 5 columns and 3 rows.
> > like so:
> >
> > --------------------------
> > |    |    |    |    |    |
> > --------------------------
> > |    |    |    |    |    |
> > --------------------------
> > |    |    |    |    |    |
> > --------------------------
>
> Right click on the workspace switcher applet, set it to 3 rows and 15
> workspaces.
>
> > everyone that looked at the system today were immediately asking how
> > they were going to configure their system so that they can easily get to
> > any desktop without a great deal of hand movement, ( right now the only
> > keys they need are alt+arrows to reach anything ) and without having to
> > cross a large amount of windows/desktops.
>
> We don't have any way to set up alt+arrows right now, but it's easy to
> add. But this doesn't mean you want viewports, it means you want
> keyboard shortcuts that move between workspaces according to how they
> are layed out visually in the workspace switcher. So someone just
> needs to implement these keybindings. Not a big deal, but be sure a
> bug is open in bugzilla.

I tried the workspace switcher, pushed it up to the numbers you listed,
but it would still only display 4 workspaces. However, that's probably
just a bug with the applet.

I am checking bugzilla now, should a bug for the keybindings be against
the window manager, or the applet, or ?

Thanks for the response.

Will