Re: New GNOME Sample Application

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 19:16, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Murray Cumming">
>
> > gnome-hello should be able to demo most things anyway, with less
> > distraction. If gedit isn't kosher, then it should be. Isn't that a
> > separate issue?
>
> Kind of, but if we want to use it as the example app, it should be given
> "special treatment". Basically, there are a few remaining issues to polish
> up before we'd want to say, "do stuff like this".
>
> > I'd guess that gedit has other code that might distract people.
>
> Maybe, but it's working, useful, practical code, not a playfield of
> imagination hackery.
>
> > If it's going to be an example, then there will need to at least be some
> > docs pointing people to certain parts of the code to see how to do certain
> > thing
>
> That's precisely the intention. Hopefully we can base developer
> documentation on the gedit codebase, and suggest to tutorial writers that
> they use it to demonstrate GNOME programming style, methods, etc.
>
> > gnome-hello isn't meant to be exciting - It's meant to be simple.
> > Actually it should be even simpler. The multiple application instances
> > stuff is a distraction.
> >
> > And what's broken about gnome-hello now anyway, apart from the sgml docs
> > errors that you currently get when building it?
>
> It's not necessarily broken. But to use it effectively, it has to be
> maintained well. We can guarantee that for gedit far more safely than g-h,
> because it's Real Software.
>
> Don't you prefer practical examples to pixieland play toys? :) [1]

It's difficult to make practical examples perfect. At least something
with no real requirements can suspend reality to conform to our docs.

Actually, even if gedit becomes our do-it-like-this example, I think
that we are always going to need some very simple example, because
people are always going to create new projects just by copying an old
project. That's probably harder with gedit than with gnome-hello.

That might not seem like the best way to create new projects, but sooner
or later IDEs are going to have "Make new app" wizards and whatever they
produce is going to look a lot like gnome-hello.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net