Re: [Usability] The endless and mostly fruitless GNOME applets debate [contd...]

> Currently we have applets in gnome-core and gnome-applets. It seems a
> sensible thing to have some applets [or even, most applets] as part of
> fifth toe. I think I would prefer to see all the applets removed from
> gnome-core, moved into gnome-applets and then create a new module
> gnome-applets-extra for applets that should be part of fifth toe. We
> should define applets that stay in gnome-applets [and hence part of
> the main core distribution] by the following -

I don't think moving things to fifth-toe in order to hide them is a good
solution. I *bet* that most distributions will install fifth toe by
default, so all the crap will show up again. Rather, applets that we
don't feel are particularly valuable should be spun into their own
seperate modules and not released as a part of GNOME. Distributions who
*really* want them (I have a funny feeling Mandrake will) can package
them etc, but its not something we encourage.

Given that most stuff is moving out of the core at this point and
(presumably) into fifth toe, I don't think we should be putting crap in
fifth toe.

-Seth