Re: Moving to pointer-sized GType?

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 12:08:48PM -0400, Alex Larsson wrote:
> These can all be found by eliminating all appearances of guint in the
> output of 'find -name "*.c" | xargs grep -C2 _get_type', and we have done
> so for Gtk+, Gimp and gnome-libs. But the possiblility exists that some
> code stores GtkTypes in 32bit integers in some other fashion.
>
> Doing this change will almost certainly cause some apps to segfault on
> 64bit while working on 32bit until all our apps are fixed.
>
> We (the Gtk+ team) are interested in the opinion of developers (especially
> on 64bit systems) on this change. Do you think it is worth it? Do you know of any
> code that stores GtkTypes in uints currently?

I think this is a very good change for a number of other reasons.  For one it
makes the alignment on the object structure implicitly pointersized, which
avoids some other warnings on alpha (though I think none of them are bad, but
could be).  Also just getting and using 64bit values should be faster then
32bit gets anyway.  So I think this is definately a step in the right
direction.

(also note that since on alpha the alignment of an object structure is on
 64bit boundaries since it contains pointers, this doesn't increase size
 of structures neither on i386 nor on alpha)

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   I thoroughly disapprove of duels.  If a man should challenge